Followers

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Almost Ghost town, Chloride

"Yeller Rose of Texas" at the Kingman house

My destination, as well as the Cliff Murals.  http://www.chlorideaz.com/

One of the Gift shops in Chloride, AZ

This used to be the only gas station in town.  Did a booming business with the miners.

The Old Red House

All you need to know about directions

Pat and I ate Christmas diner here once.  When we came out, it was dark and there was an inch of snow on the ground!

The Desert Riders had brunch at Yesterday's Today.  

One of the volunteers at the old town.  Nice guy!

You can buy stuff here, just not a lot of stuff 

Where the action is!

Empty street at Old Town

Inside one of the old houses...This was the living room

Family/Dining room

Kitchen

The one bedrooom

Where the bad guys stay

Ladies of the Day...and Night

Wild Roseswww.chloridewildroses.com

Kirk Slack.  We met Kirk at Hackberry store a couple days ago.  He's the proprietor of the Old Town. A motorcycle rider, and all round nice guy.  He also does video documentaries among other things.

Kick back on this porch and enjoy the buys city

Sign point to the murals.  The road is to steep and rough for a car.  But, the dirt bike did fine.

Just starting to look.   Here's a link to the artist.  www.purcellgalleries.com  Roy painted the murals in 1966.  There is a long story behind them.  He came back in 2006 for the 40th anniversary and renewed the paint.  They look great now!  If anyone is really interested, contact me and I'll have more information to add then. 

The painting cover a large area.  And, about a hundred or so yards away, there are some real ancient hieroglyphs.

Didn't have any trouble riding up the snarly road, but while walking around I lost my balance and fell down.  Didn't want to hurt the camera, so landed pretty hard.  Sore leg and arm now, but I'll live.  These are about 40 or so miles from Kingman.

There are places in town that can give you a lot of information about the paintings, but I was sort of in a hurry today, and will need to go back again to hear the story.  It's been a few years since I was told about this place, so don't want to give out facts that I may not remember correctly.

One of them most predominant paintings

Weather was perfect here today. Not to hot, like it can be, but around 76 degrees

Roy Purcell married a local girl from Chloride.  Her father drove school bus, and her mother was the Post Mistress.

This may be  Roy's wife, but I'm not sure...

I didn't climb around to get them all, just the easy ones to see

Some of the highest ones

An All Seeing Eye

From a different angle

Would be interesting to talk to Roy about his reasons for the paintings.  You can see him in his gallery, down near Tucson.

A chicken foot?

Hmmmm

Looks like some of the real ones!

Almost done.. There are more, but I didn't post them all.  (I know, you're thinking, Thank Goodness!)

The little bike got me here in good shape.  It's fun to ride..Steep rocky road with lots of ruts and loose sand and gravel too.  I did good until I stopped to walk. :-)

I know, this is a repeat, but I'll leave it anyway

Was hard to decide which to post here

Up close to the rocks

This is what it looks like on the other side of the rock bluff where the paintings are

When I got back to Chloride the Wild Roses were in the middle of a shoot out

Not a big crowd, but they put on a good show anyway

A dead tourist that was used in the show

Hey!  Fall down, you're suppose to be dead..This lady was hollering at one of the other ladies :-)

So, this one turned around and shot her!

The cast of the Gun Fight

The red lady hugs one of the Harley riders for helping with the shoot out

I've been to a LOT of shoot outs in old western town, but this one had a lot of humor and was one of the best I've seen

Inside the Dead Ass Saloon

Not to be outdone, this is the Raggedy Ass Saloon

This modern day post office is still in business.  It's Saturday, and they were open!

At one time, this was THE bank in Chloride.  The walls are thick

Back on Highway 93, this is Grass Hopper Junction.  We're about 50 miles from Las Vegas, Nevada here.

Back in Kingman, Pat took a picture of our Little Julie resting while we watched the Nationwide Race from Lebanon, Tennessee.  It was another good day to ride!

No comments: