Followers

Saturday, January 21, 2012

More January pictures



 Early morning harvesting Broccoli in California

 Full boxes ready to be shipped

 Sanitation station.  Usualy these are hauled behind the buses that take the workers to the fields


 Jose treated me right today!  Huevos Rancheros!  With flour tortillas right off the grill, and all the goodies to go with them.  Including the can of diet coke, it cost $4.


 Cooking beef and chicken (Carne Asada and Pollo)  This is my favorite place to eat street food in Algodones.  There are several nice restaurants, but this sort of place gets my business.


 The town square has live entertainment today.  As well as shoeshine boys and lots of interesting vendors.


 Typical street cornor.


Some pretty nice stained glass.


 For those of you that have been to Algodones, this Purple Pharmacy ISN'T the one you remember. That one is still there, but they bought up the smaller businesses across the street and put this one up. Now it's the largest pharmacy complex in town.  I usually do my business at Tury's, it's expanded too, but I get more personal service there.  Over a hundred others in town, so it's no problem getting anything you want.


 Rushing waters of the All American Canal that goes a short way into Mexico.  Some sort of old agreement between us and Mexico that they get some of the water from the Colorado River.  Every year there are drownings in these swift waters.


The canal comes down the California side of the border, then enters Mexico right here.  There is a "Y" that sends the majority of water out through the Imperial Valley of California  for irrigation.


.
 My Trusty Steed!  This has been one of the best bikes I've ever owned!  And one I've kept longer than most of them :-)
 Lettuce fields along old Hwy 80 in California.  From the gas station I filled up at in Yuma, AZ, it's 9.3 miles to the border into Mexico at Algodones.


 Bib lettuce.  There are at least a dozen different varieties grown in the Valley here.  In January and February, Yuma County supplies  a HUGE percentage of the World's lettuce.


 Entering California from Arizona, this is the 1st business on the North side of the road.
Entering California from Arizona, this is the 1st business on the South side of the road.  I gave up the status of "gentleman" when I hung up my sward back in 1990.  So, guess that means I can't go inside here.  Not that I'd want to :-)



Just before crossing the bridge into Arizona, I saw this wrench in the road.  Probably fell off a farm truck.  Nice tool that is now hanging in my Yuma shop!  Wonderful morning!







Theater in Yuma Palms Mall.  This is the venue for the Thursday evening concerts.  It looks much more attractive at night with the neon and moon light.

Our friend Janet, playing the Bucket Bass in the Bard Community Building.  Our normal Friday night excitement. :-)

Jim, Grandpa and Debbie entertain us.

We sat among these flowers the night before.  Not so romantic in the daylight, but still very nice blossoms. Reminded me of sitting in the Hot Tub at the Bay Area Athletic Club and watching the Hibiscus bloom. :-)

Red sky in the morning, Sailor's warning!  But not in Yuma.  Sunrise on January 21st.  There won't be rain today, and it will be in the mid 70's later this afternoon.

No comments: